The George Fischer Student Travel Award provides support in the sum of $1,000.00 (USD) for international students currently studying maritime archaeology to attend and present a paper at the annual Society for Historical and Underwater Archaeology conference. Administered under the auspices of the Advisory Council on Underwater Archaeology, of which George was an emeritus member, the award advances an important goal of the board to support the professional development of students embarking on their nascent careers. This in turn furthers the overall mission of the ACUA to foster the growth and development of underwater and maritime archaeology throughout our watery world.
Since the inaugural award in 2012, students hailing from the West Indies, Argentina, United Kingdom, Cyprus, and Australia have benefited from the support to participate in the exchange of ideas at the annual conference.
Deadline: The deadline to apply for this award is October 15, 2021.
For more information about qualifying, applying, and submitting for the student travel award. please download the ACUA Fischer Student Travel Award guidelines.
The winning student will be honored at the annual SHA Conference on Historical and Underwater Archaeology.
- 2012: Jean-Sébastien Guibert, University of French West Indies, Guadeloupe FWI
- 2013: Nicolás Ciarlo, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina
- 2014: Amelia Astley, University of Southampton, UK
- 2015: Aleisha Buckler, University of Queensland, Australia
- 2016: Maddy Fowler read more, Flinders University, Australia
- 2017: Not awarded
- 2018: Maria Ktori read more, University of Cyprus, Cyprus
- 2019: Not awarded
- 2020: Ana Castelli, read more, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina
- 2021: Not awarded
Charlie Ewen (l) and Kim Faulk (r) presents the 2015 Fischer Student Travel Award to Aleshia Buckler, University of Queensland.
Maddy Fowler receives the 2016 Fischer Student Travel award from ACUA Chair Kim Faulk.